Join now - be part of our community!

All4 & ITV Hub not working when you don't have youview

profile.country.GB.title
Mjayeds
New

All4 & ITV Hub not working when you don't have youview

Hi,

I have Sony Bravia TV all up to date etc. 

All4 and ITV Hub apps don't work. I have HDD connected to record TV and so you have to disable Youview to be able to record and play back tv programs. 

I have tried using my mobile and going into the all4 and ITV hub apps but sometimes they cast a show and may show the whole show, other times they will say error and not play at all and sometimes they will play some of the show and then say error. It basically doesn't work. 

You try and use the app loaded on the TV and it won't load at all and wants you to enable youview, but if you enable youview you can't record TV.... 

I have tried sideloading All4 and ITV hub but they won't install, I think because it says these apps are already installed...

What is the way around this and making it work without not being able to record live TV? 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I have them sideloaded - you need to get them from Hoshsadiq github and not from one of the apk stores

Once sideloaded the version of the app in the sony shelf remains the youview version so don't access the apps that way as it will ask you to turn on youview.

Access the sideloaded apps via the apps view or add them to your favourites

If you're not a youview user I recommend sideloading all of the terrestrial catchup apps except my5 which is not youview linked at all. They can all then be accessed as apps and added to favourites (I've moved the sony shelf to the bottom as it seems to re appear after a soft reset  if removed) 

profile.country.GB.title
Mjayeds
New

Thanks so much... It worked. Awesome

profile.country.GB.title
Mjayeds
New

All 4 started working fine and then eventually it went back to showing the error. 

So try to screen cast from mobile and it will show there's been an error and then you try and use the all 4 app and it says this can't start because you are recording.. 

What can I do.. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mjayeds 

You probably don’t want to hear “Buy just about any make of TV other than Sony, and you won’t have this nonsense” 😛

Because it’s a very nice picture, and the TV has much else to recommend it, and anyway it’s too late for that now. But you have identified an Achilles‘ heel of these Android sets here.

But I would recommend a Stick; NowTV (cheapest), or Amazon Firestick, or a Roku Stick (most versatile and has both those apps, should you want them in the future) which will give you the itv Hub and All4 right now without the nonsense and the hassle, and then you can leave the TV on the Freeview side so you can record, and not miss out on these Players.

And all for £20-£40, much much cheaper than changing your TV for a different make.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Have you tried clearing the all4 app  cache, and/or a soft reset of the TV (long press on power button)?