Join now - be part of our community!

All 4 5OD & ITV Player keep taking me to YouView

SOLVED
maf13r
Explorer

All 4 5OD & ITV Player keep taking me to YouView

I have a Sony Bravia KD-49X8309C, I seem to have a problem trying to access All4, 5OD & ITV Player. When i click on the apps for them they take me to a YouView page to search for a TV signal but i dont use a TV Aerial. Are these not stand alone apps (like i have on my Amazon Fire TV stick) & can only run through youview, If so its a smart TV thats not very smart. Iv even tried to look for them on Google play store as its an Android TV but there not on there.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@daveybuntu 

Hoshsadiq is your friend here. Look him up on the internet.

But you will still have to have tuned in ITV and Channel 4 on terrestrial TV - might be OK just to have done this on the Freeview side, but if not it will have to be on the YouView side.

But once tuned, you don’t need to keep a terrestrial aerial connected, and you should be able to switch back to the Freeview side and employ Hoshsadiq OK.

And in fairness to Freesat, I have to repeat that the Now/Next satellite EPG, and the selection and numbering of the satellite channels on these Sony TVs, is not Freesat.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Andy17784

But how do I actually get ITV HUB ect my you view only displays Iplayer and my5 can’t seem to find any others anywhere ?

profile.country.GB.title
Andy17784

Did you ever get it sorted ? I can’t even find the option to download the app anywhere, we have a cheap TV in the bedroom and all the apps are just there ready to use but for some reason you view will only give me iplayer and my5

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Andy17784 

There have been a few iterations of YouView since my last post above, and it’s different on the 2020 sets, and maybe those differences have been backported to some earlier sets; so I need to know the model number of your TV.

Prior to 2020, you needed to be on the ‘YouView’ side of these sets to get itv Hub and All4, and you needed that a terrestrial aerial had been plugged in and channels 3 and 4 tuned before they would work.

After which, if you came off the YouView side, you could still get those players with the Hoshsadiq exploit, but only that way.

And the All4 and itv Players were bundled in with YouView, and not separate in the Android TV store.

From 2020 sets onwards though, there hasn’t been the rigid enforcement of YouView versus Freeview, with quite a big switch required to go between them, just whether or not you go into ‘Live and Catch-up TV’, and get the YouView interface with all its advantages and disadvantages, or are outside it, and you get the Freeview interface.

And you should, with these later sets, be able to see the itv Hub and All 4 in the Android TV store, download them, and be able to watch them on the Freeview side, without having to have tuned terrestrial TV at all. (Though this has only recently become true of the itv Hub, as a bug, now fixed, was preventing the postcode acceptance now used instead of tuning the TV).

So which model of TV have you got, and have you still got the great YouView/Freeview divide, or the newer ‘Live and Catch-up TV’ approach?

And yes, the cheapest own-brand TV, from Tesco or the like, points up the absurdity of these Player restrictions on Sony TVs in this day and age.

Though we have a couple of 2020 LG TVs still devoid of All4 and My5, and probably some other Players. But we don’t sweat it; a £30 Roku Premiere attached bottom left under each TV with the supplied adhesive pad supplies all the players we could want, at the click of an HDMI port selection.

You could do the same on your Sony.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Andy17784, what's the model number of the TV you have? Did they work before?