Join now - be part of our community!

Airplay video stutter + Amazon Prime lip sync issues - Sony AG9 'Master Series'

profile.country.GB.title
Heathjenks
New

Airplay video stutter + Amazon Prime lip sync issues - Sony AG9 'Master Series'

I've a Sony Bravia Master Series AG9 with the latest Firmware update. 

It runs Apple TV from iPhone or MacBook flawlessly using Airplay

I can't stream a reasonable sized MKV or MP4 from my Macbook to the TV using Airplay without significant video stutter or lag.

I've tried small file sizes and the issue is still there.

Also, all Amazon Prime video using the inbuilt App is out of sync with the sound.

If I Chromecast or Airplay from my iPhone its usually fine, but 'Picard' for example is way out of sync when playing with the App.

Any ideas on either of these? 

For the record, my broadband is superfast, HyperOptic in the UK, really quick and consistent

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Heathjenks  ha scritto:

I've a Sony Bravia Master Series AG9 with the latest Firmware update. 

It runs Apple TV from iPhone or MacBook flawlessly using Airplay

I can't stream a reasonable sized MKV or MP4 from my Macbook to the TV using Airplay without significant video stutter or lag.

[...]

For the record, my broadband is superfast, HyperOptic in the UK, really quick and consistent

Many thanks

Your broadband does not have any impact on the file you try to send to the tv. Probably you have a weak wifi or other problem in the local network or a bitstream required too high

profile.country.GB.title
Heathjenks
New

Hi there Rooob, 

I appreciate your reply. 

My WiFi signal is great. No issues there. Not sure what you mean regarding bitstream?

Also, if this was a local (network) issue wouldn’t all the airplay and streaming services be affected? Apple TV with HD and UHD films is fine. But there is this video stutter with airplay and physical files played from my Mac desktop. It’s a brand new £4K MacBook Pro. 

Also. That it is the same issue on a 40mb file or a 5gb file seems to indicate it’s not about signal strength or connection?. I’m no expert here but it seems weird to me. 

Any ideas on the Amazon Prime audio sync as I can’t be the only person experiencing this on a AG9?

many thanks 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The dimension means nothing...it depends on how many bit per second the video is encoded. An mkv or mp4 depending on the source can be even more than 100mbps while netflix ie send its uhd HDR movies at 15mbps maximum
profile.country.GB.title
Heathjenks
New

Hi, so what you are saying (I think) is this has nothing to do with my Sony TV and is probably the encoding of the videos I’m trying to play using airplay. 

what would you suggest as a test to see if this is the case and either rule it out of confirm?

many thanks 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You should check with some utility which is the actual codec and bitstream of the files your are trying to send (mediainfo or VLC should do). On the internet you may find lot of sample files at different bitstreams to check where is the cap in your configuration

LaidBackLad
Explorer

I have a similar problem with my second AG9, the first one being replaced under warranty at five weeks old (Currys) as the problem was so bad, TV was unwatchable through the inbuilt apps.

The problem mainly centres around the Prime app where the sound is in advance of what is happening on screen. Netflix is similar but not quite as bad. I was advised by the Currys that I should clear the cache within the app or reset the TV . This however has limited effect on the problem and is not a long term solution. 

Also worth noting is that the problem doesn't exist when casting either Prime or Netflix through Chromecast. Not what you'd expect from a near 2 grand TV (Sept 2019). 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, there's a new update released last week, try it on your TV and see if that helps: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a9g_ag9-series/kd-55ag9/downloads/000171...