Join now - be part of our community!

AirPlay iTunes purchased 4K movies

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

AirPlay iTunes purchased 4K movies

Using AirPlay 2 on newer Sony TV’s from Apple purchased movies that are 4K with Dolby Vision is it in 4K with DV?

I would prefer the Apple TV+ app, but believe they are “coming soon..” if it ever does. As this would then play direct on 4K with DV. 

But I’m wondering if anyone can try for me and see how it goes please. 

I’m thinking of getting a 65” XH81 or XH90, it’s down to these or LG who have AirPlay and the Apple TV+ app. 

Can someone test for me and let me know please, asked Apple and they were very sketchy and didn’t really know!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

Hi, 

I have a 2020 tv (49XH9505) with airplay and 4K films streamed from my iPhone (TV app) display in HDR Dolby vision. 

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

That’s great thanks. So iTunes movies play in 4K with Dolby HDR. If you don’t have any you could play a trailer to test. Really helped my purchasing decision thanks. The Apple TV+ app is supposed to be coming sometime to newer Sony TV’s to.

How do you know for sure? Apart from the picture quality, is there some kind of info button that tells you all this?

So the reply I’ve got from Sony support was that it didn’t, poor that they don’t know or even tested this.

Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

When I stream a 4k film from my iPhone the TV picture settings let me select the dolby vision light or dark setting. On the main picture settings it shows HDR. 

Worth noting that if you use airplay you only get dolby stereo, not dolby 5.1 like you do with an Apple TV box.

Not sure why the pictures have rotated, but you should be able see the picture info

714C95CB-AE8F-4777-8472-A0DE083C3F51.jpeg163FCDFE-CA9B-45E3-BCE5-E2487E25E65D.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

That’s great thanks. Not too bothered on 5.1 for now as I’ll be using the TV speakers for now. I believe the 65” version has decent speakers with extra tweeters etc on.

Also when the Apple TV+ app comes it will support Atmos for iTunes movies, so may then get a soundbar that has Atmos if I think the speakers are not good enough.

I’m emailing Sony back to tell them about your testing, as they’ve misinformed me.

Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

Brilliant thanks Makes you wonder why Sony couldn’t test this, or get the information from Apple for an easy answer, rather than giving false information, which affects purchasing decisions.

Thanks