Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
hankmarvin107

If you are in the first 14 days where you can take it back easily with no questions, then do it.

I dont trust Sony can fix anything having waited 13 months for some of my fixes, with rumors they are not going to do any more updates after the next one.

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Hi,

I have the same TV. I'd take it back if you can. I have to restart mine
every few days to keep everything running smoothly. Has trouble with my BT
Ultra HD box stuttering.
NickCo1979

Take it back and get it swapped for a different brand. These issues have now been going on for 14 months and Sony still haven't fixed them. A cynic might assume they're incapable of fixing them.

hextablephil
Explorer

If only Tesco would accept the damn TV back, I've even offered to pay more
to get a different one. No luck. Next step is small claims court
profile.country.GB.title
Teknixjack
Explorer

Hi,

After Sony refusing to give me a refund I  put in a section 75 claim to my credit card company about 8 months ago (yes a long time, apparantly they had back logs) for my X930c tv due to the faults, i.e Freezing, Turning itself on and off, lip sync issues.

The company want me to send this beast of a tv (heavy and large) to a tv expert to compile a report (I am not happy about this as its huge and dont trust them to damage it further in some way).

I am also trying to claim that when I bought the tv from Sony direct online that HDD was advertised and PIP (I know they are implemented now but at the time of claim they were not) which Sony have edited by now.

My question is would there be a website of an original description when advertised on Sony website I can get to send to the company I am claiming from?

I have video recorded evidence of the tv being unresponsive and lip sync issues so hope this will be enough evidence.

I directed the company to this website and the 600 or so posts as evidence but they say thats not enough to claim there is a problem with these TVs (yes laughable I know).

Anyway Any help would be appreceated, even links to various other complaints.

Many thanks

dennmunn
Explorer

I did not start this thread

dennmunn
profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Hi Teknixjack,

Just Google cached web page searches online and hopefully one of those will point you in the right direction.

I know that's what other people have done on here before.

Good luck

My Model KD43X8309CBU
hankmarvin107

@Teknixjack

Really interesting, let me know how you get on.

1) I am thinking of doing the same (I have the same model)

2) Sony have offered me a full refund, but they want the sound bar back, which I paid for separately and no longer have, so not an option (I think I am in the right not to have send this back as well, but need to argue my case)

3) I am happy share my videos to show how bad this TV really is.  The credit card company need to use their common sense and use your vids and this forum to show the TV is not fit for purpose.

Go back to Sony and ask why they have offered full refunds to other customers and not you

My question is would there be a website of an original description when advertised on Sony website I can get to send to the company I am claiming from?

web.archive.org is a good place to start. They take 'snapshots' of various websites at random times of the year.

Putting in www.sony.co.uk, it gave me a number of choices from last year, choosing 3rd July found this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150703164846/http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x9405c-x9305...

I think that covers your TV?

It shows both "HDD USB recording" and "picture and picture" was shown as being supported at the time.

(Its a bit slow so you might need some patience ).

Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
Teknixjack
Explorer

HI Guys,

Thanks for being so helpful and supportive.

I argued with Sony till I was blue in the face and they would admit anything and would not accept a refund.

I asked them to send me a letter stating that they wouldnt give me a refund for my claim.... but they didnt.

Anyway I will keep you all updated.

Many thanks