Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Boba77Fett
Explorer

I just thought I would weigh in and say that after having my KD-55X9305C for almost 10 months now I absolutely love it. 

I had the initial firmware update problem, which was fixed with a flash drive which Sony sent me in the mail after I called them. I also came on this forum and was given instructions on a manual fix by downloading the required files myself. In that case Sony were great. 

The TV has been fine since in all respects, is lightning fast, no lag on the menu, and the picture is fantastic - blu ray and 3D movies are just superb. In fact I am so happy with it my Virgin TiVo box is now redundant and is never used. 

I also have a Sony HT-ST9 soundbar which blows my mind (and eardrums), an S7200 blu ray player, an Xperia Z3 and Z5 tablet and a PS4, so you could call me a fanboy probably, but that doesnt mean Im easy to please. These products work extremely well with each other and integrate beautifully. 

I choose Sony products not blindly, but by trial, value for money and quality. I believe all of the products I own are (or were at the time of purchase) the best products available in their respective price ranges and categories.

I can understand the frustration for those who may have other issues and I expect to receive some backlash here judging by the comments Ive read but I simply wanted to stick my neck out and just say THANKS SONY!

nakagoli
New

this ha s probably been covered before, but i have just purchased a 49xd8309 partly for its supposed ability to allow me to stream from my laptop to the set wirelessly.  i set up as per the instructions and when i connect the laptop to the tv, the tv acknowledges that it is connected to "user pc".  however, after that....ZILCH.  no picture , no nothing.  and yes, i have the laptop set to the correct transmission mode.

i contacted sony help centre and i just get the answer several times..." you can only connect using a hdmi cable".  that is not why i purchased the set!  the stupid thing is that the two are interconnecting, but it is just the screen that is not operating.

do sony really care that their product is not doing what they advertise it as doing?

any answers please.

hankmarvin107

Are you on Windows 10?

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

There's a lot of reasons why it won't stream to the tv. But the easiest
thing to try for pc streaming is Plex. You can get the Plex app on the
Google play store on the tv and/or get Plex for your pc. I stream via
phones and tablets but people I know day Plex will work perfectly for what
you're trying to do.
nakagoli
New

yes, i am using windows 10.

hankmarvin107

I am not in front of my windows 10 laptop but I recall having to allow access to the TV in the settings somewhere.

Once that was done you select connect from the lap top to TV and it worked for me.   If you cant find it reply back  and i will look again.  

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

I believe if you press the windows key and type media streaming, it'll take
you to the correct setting.
nakagoli
New

thanks.  but if i press the windows key, i get the avatars for various sections and cannot see any media straming access.

i can use settings to access the command to activate the link.  this identifies the tv and i click on that.  it then shows "connecting" but yesterday, iw was then showing user pc on the tv. but tday, i am not even getting the message on the tv and on my pc it is showing unable to connect. !  

i was sold the unit as having chromecast and acapable of streaming. but the word miracast has arisen and i find that this is supported on my laptop.

whatever system is supposed to be in the tv, it obviously can connect but it certainly is moody.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Why can't you just use plex? I just connected my pc to the Sony tv in a few seconds. 

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@nakagoli Your TV has in-built Chromecast support for use for streaming to the TV. Thus you need something on your laptop that supports Chromecast. Since Chromecast is a Google thing, you'll find Chromecast support in .... suprise, suprise ... Google's Chrome. It's a browser and one of the better ones; it is available for Windows 10. Get it and install it on your Windows 10 machine.

After installation you'll notice a chromecast symbol top right on the browser window. Click on that and you'll be able to pair the TV and laptop.

Then search for the extension  "VideoStream for Google Chromecast" in Chrome and install that. Open Videostream and follow instructions. It's easy peasy.