Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Ezhan1

Is thete any kind of FAQ available?

I have plugged with optical output external speaker system, but I cannot control the volume from TV. Is it by design or is there a solution available?

oodles2do

@Ezhan1

With optical out it's only the audio signal that gets sent to the external speakers. You need to connect via HDMI ARC if your external device supports it. That'll let you control the sound system with the TV remote.

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

I'm connected to HDMI 4 which allows me to control my onkyo amp volume

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Ezhan1 wrote:

Is thete any kind of FAQ available?

I have plugged with optical output external speaker system, but I cannot control the volume from TV. Is it by design or is there a solution available?

Yes, I believe there is a solution. My optical volume was absurdly low by default, so I poked around under, IIRC, Settings/Sound (haven't got the TV here to check, and no, there is nothing beyond a couple of lamentably incomplete documents to tell you what the sets are and aren't supposed to do), found Optical, and jacked up the volume to something sensible.

And in the same place, again IIRC, there is an option for fixed or variable output level, and if you choose the latter, then you can control the optical output level with the TV remote.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Marty.S

@Anonymous

Fair enough thanks, I knew there was a lipsync issue but 3 seconds surprised me and it was my first timing issue since I purchased last October. KD-49X8309C

Holdski

Two new issues,  well new for me anyway! In the past three days netflix has started up all on its own and no one was anywhere near a remote. 

Also when exiting an app I lost all sound and had to do a few hard resets to get it back. 

Anyone else had these problems.?

Ps still waiting to hear back from mr depauw regarding this horrible tv

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

Why can't the normal tv guide behave like the youview guide in searching a page at a time rather than having to go 1 channel at a time? (when using the prog button)

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@nwa1200sd

• Did you try pressing Help Button on remote, then select Self diagnostics?
  • Can you select Settings - TV - Storage & reset so that you can do a Factory data reset?

This might solve your problem.

profile.country.GB.title
lmhrpr
Explorer

I'm not sure if this has been addressed here but I can't see a way to search this thread.

I have the 55X8509C and it is only intermittently responding to power on/off signals from an IR blaster.  It's driving me crazy.  Today it stopped responding completely to all input, even from the Sony remote and the buttons on the rear.  Is this a known issue or should I be looking at the IR blaster?  The thing is it worked seamlessly with my previous Bravia (46W905) for over a year.

TSD123
Explorer

Will we be seeing Android N on these TVs? There meant to be signifant improvements on the recoring functionality (baked straight into the OS)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/11/android-n-feature-spotlight-android-tv-supports-multiple-rec...