Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Chromecast is good for streaming apps but if you're streaming movies etc
from a pc you need a dlna connection. The tv has dlna built into it and
it's really easy to use, plex being the most popular and easiest option as
it'll do all the connecting stuff he's struggling with automatically
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@rsebre said " I've done many things I wasn't supposed to be able to do (developer mode),"

That afternoon a few months back you said you were off to "root it", what happened?. You never did share back with us your success. 

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@Garymjh Not so! I regularly stream HD movies from my laptopp to my TV using Chromecast with no issues. My Tv is ethernet wired and my laptop uses a 5Ghz Wifi band so there is little interference from neighbours (or Eastenders :grin: ). I have a wireless access point (a series 5 BT modem reconfigured as an AP) beneath my TV so the wireless path is short.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Ah yes I know you can cast movies with Chromecast but in my experiences dlna gives a much better quality stream. (I'm incredibly fussy about frame rates and hz etc) It may be that Chromecast streams perfectly from a pc but with Android devices dlna is much better. The original poster may find Chromecast to be just what's needed though. Anything that bypasses all the Windows nonsense is preferable. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rsebre wrote: 

I spoke recently to Sony, whom also told me there probably wont be any more Firmware updates after the next one either, as they are now concentrating on the 2016 sets. 

Hi all.

As i mentioned a few pages back, I was going to find out more information about this.  Whilst this somewhat true, in the fact that Sony are concentrating on 2016 TVs - it is not true that firmware updates will cease.  Both 2016 and 2015 TVs use the same software of which the issues and bugs are on both.  

So, must post back on page 530 remains true.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/2144283#M42245

Cheers

Alpay_TR
Explorer

Hi everybody

Some physical and picture adjustmnet suggestions for KDL50W805C model TV

The screws of the TV stands must be loose for me. Because if they are so tight,TV is to be streched to backward.If you loosen the screws enough, TV is standing fully upright with 90 degrees. This operation is helping reduce lightbleeding  (a.k.a. rabbit ears) above Sony logo .

At the same time, if you set your devices picture adjustments as follows, chronic lightbleed issue will reduce i think.

These are fully worked for me and now i can watch my TV at pitch-dark environment without lightbleed.

Firstly, for RGB balance calibrated adjusments,very thanks to AVS forum.

Pic mode  Standart

Brightness  35

Light Sensor Auto (This is helping to reduce lightbleed for me. If you don't like set it off and adjust brightness manually)

Color 60  (suitable to any content with calibrated adv. color settings. 50 is so pale for me)

Contrast 100

Gamma 0

Black level 50

Black Adjust Medium

Adv.Contrast Enhacer Medium (Black Adjust and this is helping to reduce lightbleed)

Sharpness 60

Reality Creation Auto (Sharpness 60 and this gives the best clarity for me)

Random Noise Auto

Digital Noise Min (Random Noise Auto and this is th e best solution for Digital Tv or satellites. If you are playing game set them OFF

Motion Flow Standart (This is the best motion setting for me)

Film Mode High (Suitable for Digital TV or SAT for me)

Color Temp Expert 1

Live Color Off

Adv. Color Temperature

R. Gain -4

G. Gain -4

B. Gain Max

R. Bias 0

G. Bias 0

B. Bias -1

As you can see, Most of the settings are the same with original Standart picture mode. I applied AVS forum's calibrated color settings on this.

You can try and tell me that it workes or not.

milner993
Explorer

I contacted Sony customer services about my issues surrounding image stuttering and I had this response today.

DearMr Milner

Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding the updates to bereleased for your Sony KD-49X8309C.

With reference toyour reported issue, we would like to clarify that a firmware update will bereleased to resolve this issue. However, the timing/release schedule is yet tobe determined.In case any updates are available, it willbe declared on the website.

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-49X8309C

profile.country.GB.title
olisims
Explorer

Hi all, I've got a really strange problem with my KD-55X9005C.

I've found that if I watch something through a HDMI source (I run various things through an AV amp connected to HDMI 4), when I switch back to TV it will have lost some, but not all, Freeview channels.  Through some investigation I discovered that the ones it loses are all on the PSB3 multiplex, this means that it loses the main HD channels (101-105).  The only way I've found to get them back is to reboot the TV (eg by holding the power button on the remote).  It's really annoying.

Oddly enough I've only noticed this happening recently but nothing has changed with my setup.  I've tried a full Freeview retune but the problem persists.  I haven't done a full factory reset yet, it took me a while to get the TV set up how I like it and was hoping to avoid having to do all that again.

I've looked around the web but can't find anybody else with the problem, so thought I would try here.

Anybody heard of this? Should I report it to Sony, and if so, how?

lavaquake
Explorer

Hi everyone, 

Having bought the KD-55X8509C a few days ago from Currys im having a real issue with this TV. Having read quite a bit of this thread, it seems clear that there is an ongoing issue with lip sync. Ive noticed over the past few days that the audio is slightly off with ALL video from ps4, netflix, freeview. EVERYTHING. Its actually quite annoying and looks very un natural. Its not massively out, but enough to annoy you when you stare at it. 

Im very close to returning the tv... I hear updates should of fixed this and they obviously havent considering im running the latest version. 

Is anyone else still having this issue? Its rather pathetic. 

Regards,

Luke

adyjay33

Interesting that this is a new TV that he is having a problem with, so that
kind of rules out hardware changes unless the TV is from very old stock.

What's the build date on the back of the TV on the sticker on the right
hand side?

Take it back as its never going to be fixed IMHO.
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!