Join now - be part of our community!

Why do Sony not embed serial number and shutter count in EXIF data?

profile.country.en_GB.title
DesignDef
New

Why do Sony not embed serial number and shutter count in EXIF data?

Hi, I'm very happy with my A77 and hopefully on the way to a A99. One of the worst aspects of the A77 and presumably most Sony DSLRs is that Sony 'refuse' to embed the camera serial number and shutter count into the EXIF information. Oddly, they are the ONLY DSLR manufacturer to take this position. Why is it so important? Well the serial number comes in very useful in tracking the camera (or more precisely) the images taken with it, if and when your camera is stolen. You will see on this page from a tracking website, how, as a Sony owner you are at a huge dissadvantage:

http://cameratrace.com/faq

any camera with serial number in EXIF data is a supported camera, many websites use this data for tracking, there is no reason for it to be missing. If Sony really are expecting professional photographers to 'switch' to Sony systems, they really need to get their act together on this one.

A similar exclusion is the Shutter Count, again, this can easily be checked from a Nikon jpeg by opening in Preview on a Mac, and going to 'tools' show inspector. The shutter count is under 'Nikon' the serial number is under 'EXIF'. I expect one of the resons for Sony 'hiding' this is that some multi-frame technology is just that, multi-frame, i.e. takes 6 to 8? images to produce one picture, so when and if it comes to re-sale of the camera, your shutter count will be much higher than is normal. That's not a bad thing, you just need to be aware of it when using these modes.

Switching from Nikon to Sony has cost me quite a bit, it's great to see Sony trying to get Pro's on board with some superb hardware, as a corporation, Sony need to 'get real' to the normal expectations of photographers when purchasing high-end equipment. There really is no excuse for Sony to be the only manufacturer that doesn't embed this information.

4 REPLIES 4
eddieitman
Explorer

Try here you can check the shutter count 

http://tools.science.si/index.php

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I'd love to know how to use this tool, please forgive my ignorance but I have no idea on what to do. Also how important is the shutter count? Is there a life expectancy for a camera? I quite often use burst mode, this might put me off using the facility! Photography is a hobby I'm seriously getting into.

eddieitman
Explorer

To use the tool take a pic with the camera and copy it to your computer do not edit the image in photoshop or anything, click on the page and upload the image with the uploader facility let it compute and you get the result some models do not work check site
Shutter life is relevant to life expectancy the manufacturer tests the shutter and say shoots 110k images before it fails but thats an average i know cameras that are on 600k and some that failed at 40k
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Hey, thanks for that information, it worked and I now know what I've done so far, it's not put me off using burst mode! Also, if I can convince the wife to let me buy an A99, using both should see me out with combined use!