Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi Calling on Android 12

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

WiFi Calling on Android 12

Hi 

My Xperia 5 ii has just updated to Android 12 and I have lost WiFi calling.  Due to lack on network signal where I live I rely on WiFi calling. 

I have checked my network (Vodafone) and I still have WiFi calling enabled, but when I try to make a call it struggles with the network until it just cuts me off.

I have read all the guidance on how to set it up but they only cover up to Android 11. The WiFi calling options have "disappeared".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Contact Vodafone and ask them to send an ota network config file to install.

On installation and reboot, the WiFi calling should be available.

profile.country.GB.title
SONYUSER251
Explorer

• I have the same issue with Xperia 5 ii and reported it to Sony. I swapped the place of my simcards, completed the installation of OMA provisioning and restarted the phone several times but nothing worked. Sony has to fix this issue as soon as possible or they will lose many customers like us...
Tags (2)
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Only Vodafone can switch on the WiFi calling and VoLTE in the firmware package, it's something that has always been controlled by the network configurations in firmware updates.

Looking at Vodafone's forum, it seems a few different devices have lost WiFi calling on android 12 updates, as well as a few going to 11.

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

I have the same issue on ASDA Mobile who are partnered with Vodafone, and quite often their customer service reps just don't have a clue and the issue usually just ends up fixing itself over time. Sorry if that sounds a little unhelpful but I once spent hours trying to figure out a way to fix this issue on my own, then tried to mention it to customer services who honestly sounded like they knew just as much as I did, if not less, and after all of that the problem just kinda fixed itself. 

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

Just been on phone to Vodafone. They have sent OTA network config to phone but it hasn't helped.  

Still no option to turn WiFi calling on. This seems to be a Sony issue with the android 12 update.  

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

Not necessarily, it's equally possible that Vodafone haven't prepared for Android 12 which would make the OTA Network Config pretty much useless, and from my experience with them their customer service reps aren't the most technologically minded people and seem to basically just read scripts and press buttons. EE tend to be one of the best for Wi-Fi calling compatibility, I'd suggest temporarily activating a pay as you go EE sim and seeing if that enables the Wi-Fi calling, if it does then it'll prove that the issue is with Vodafone and not Sony. 

My Xperia 1 ii just lost its Wi-Fi calling after the compulsory Android 12 update.  

I now have a phone which I cannot make calls on in the area I live.   The network confirmed the settings were not changed Wi-Fi it works when I put the sim card in a friends phone.  

Thank you Sony, this is expert software validation.  Probably my last Sony phone if this is not fixed immediately. 

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

@stiltonspoon What's the make of your friend's phone and what version of Android is it running on?

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

Update  

I have tried everything with Vodafone but it doesn't work. Today have been on phone to Sony. 

They game me 3 options - 1. Forced restart.  2. Reboot to safe mode. Or 3. Back up and perform a software reboot via Xperia Companion.

Nothing has worked. But I am now having to re log into most apps I had on my phone. 🙄.

Have emailed and awaiting further update, but it looks like on Android 12, Sony has forgotten to include WiFi calling.

Tags (2)