Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1II Camera Problems

profile.country.GB.title
joschi21
Explorer

So I got the new Xperia 1II few days ago and I have some problems with the cameras.

First off all, the front facing camera has a problem with the skin smoothing effects. I turned the smoothing effects off and it´s still smoothing like crazy and it distorts parts of my face. It looks like a bad beauty filter switched to maximum, it does not look like the samples I saw on gsmaarena test or unbox therapy. 

Please fix this!

Second Problem is that the back cameras on all Camera apps( normal and Photo Pro) have a distortion when I move the phone.

Video Sample here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=bSbq599PC2s

Can someone from Sony Team get in touch with me? It was really an expensive phone and I am really frustrated.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Does the same distortion happen in the video output?

profile.country.GB.title
joschi21
Explorer

Yes but not to that degree like in the photos. Videos come in poor quality, grainy, soft, blurred......I am really dissapointed bc after gsmarena test and unbox therapy I expected more. 

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Hmmm, it's normal for images in the viewfinder to be of lesser quality than the actual outputted video, so I think that part of your issue is normal, for example, I wouldn't expect image distortion correction to happen on the live feed.

As for video output, play with your settings a bit, the video in getting out of mine is pretty sharp and has good detail. 

profile.country.GB.title
joschi21
Explorer

It's not only a distortion in the viewfinder( that's not normal either) the taken picture loks distorted to!

And the Video output is also dissapointing.

When I open the camera app(just open, nothing more) my phone gets verry hot on the back side, like overheating. 

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

hi @joschi21, regarding your second point, check if there's a Lens correction option in camera settings, and if it's there, try setting it to "correction for distortion".

profile.country.GB.title
Ersan_T

I'm having the exact same problem with my Front camera and I noticed a couple of other members raising the same concern.  I know the emphasis has been put into the back cameras but the Front camera is nearly unusable, it looks like a webcam from mid-2000s.

profile.country.GB.title
joschi21
Explorer

Hi, I am glad that I am not alone with this problem.

I have also big problems with the front facing camera, it's blurry, part distorted, looks really bad. As I said before, like a bad beauty filter.....

But I have some similar problems with the back cameras to, like there is a smudge on a lens ( yea I know that I sound like morty right now haha), it looks really bad......

I wanted to show off my new phone to my friend(they all waiting for it) but in this state it is almost unusable.

Can we please raise this issuses so that we get a reaction from sony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYETnDEZ9uc

profile.country.GB.title
mrlemur

Unfortunately, the front camera is unlikely to be fixed. Try using the back camera as much as possible, as that is where they will be putting effort to improve.

profile.country.GB.title
Ersan_T

I hope you're wrong, it would be a real shame if that is not fixed, for the price people are paying it could be at least half decent.