Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 II - Youtube and HDR

profile.country.DE.title
84stangman

Xperia 1 II - Youtube and HDR

Hey There, 

I just noticed when I try to watch a HDR content on Youtube in Full screen, the brightness does not bump up as it was on the Xperia 1 Model, but stays dark, so the videoclip as well. Also the Netflix app is also not really bright.. as I turn the phone and it switches to landscape mode, it will be bright for a second and then backs to the dark video

I think the Phone does not recognize the HDR content hence not bumping the brightness up.. ( I am yes in creator mode) 

Any recommendation?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I take it you have adaptive brightness on, on the phone?

And Netflix brightness slider doesn't go higher than the system.

If you try to adjust them you sometimes get the warning that another app is controlling it.

profile.country.DE.title
84stangman

Na, it is not about that. Other users confirmed a small brightness bump and then going back to the dark video, other parts of the software gets really bright. I think it is rather a Youtube and or / netflix issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I'm running the beta of the Netflix app, and with adaptive brightness on, I can't put the Netflix brightness slider higher than the current display brightness.

I can slide it up, if I'm sitting in a bright room, but pulling down the notification bar, I see maybe 80% brightness, and Netflix does indeed say, another application is controlling the brightness.

If it's an error or bug, then Netflix need to get it sorted, as I did have the same issue early on, with the Xperia 1 and Netflix, but moved to the Beta, and it solved it, then they added the brightness bar in-app.

profile.country.GB.title
GrumpyCyborg

Often HDR requires control of the brightness to ensure that the full gamut of the screen is utilised. Stamina and auto screen brightness, white balance also effects this but gets changed when wide colour gamut is turned on Note the information icon at the bottom of the image quality screen......

Its a learning process this isn't your typical consumer device there is a learning curve. but you will be wiser and better off once you get to grips with everything that's happening.

profile.country.DE.title
84stangman

Hey, 

I know this, but I have not enabled Stamina or Auto Brightness (Adaptive). It is the same for others as well as many confirmed. 

and just fyi and the learning curve... I owned the Xperia 1 and it was working with such content without any issues...

So it might be a software bug or something like that.

As I said... Only the video stays dark, all the other menu items will be brighter. 
The Video - upon rotating the device to landscape mode - gets brighter for a sec and then it will be dark again. 

As I said, no adaptive brightness, no stamina nothing, and other users confirmed it.

Here is an example video.:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asvzeLD8a8

The quality settings shows 4k (HDR) but the video itself, even when I bump the brightness slider to the max, stays darker as it should be.

profile.country.GB.title
GrumpyCyborg

Yeah I have noticed a similar issue with the pro apps in sunlight you just cant see them but the standard camera app comes across much brighter. Your point on the software there might be some software tweaks the 10bit HDR is in software only and not supported by the screen directly so who knows what's going on there.

profile.country.GB.title
GrumpyCyborg

I will add it's different using YouTube through the browser than the app The stats in the browser also show a HDR profile BT709 bring used but it's brighter. I usually use the browser as you get next to no adverts with privacy set up.

profile.country.DE.title
84stangman

I use youtube vanced to avoid ads;)