Join now - be part of our community!

Low ear volume

tablarasa
Visitor

Low ear volume

Hello,

I am experiencing some very low ear volume currently with my xperia 1.  Not sure if it is a software or hardware issue.  It was not like that before.  The only thing that I can think of that is different is this happened after I updated with the latest security patch.  Support suggested for me to do a software repair with companion.  Anybody have the same experience?  this is very frustrating as I just got this phone!

6 REPLIES 6
Martin1
Enthusiast

Hi @tablarasa, sorry to hear about this.

You mentioned that you are not able to detect whether this is related to the hardware or the software, have you managed to carry out a quick test of the speakers in the support app to see if the hardware works as intended? To do this, find and tap Settings > Support > Xperia Tests > Speakers & microphone. 

Another thing that you can try is to reboot your phone in safe mode to see if the earspeaker works better there. Safe mode is a troubleshooting mode where all apps downloaded from Play Store is temporarily deactivated, that way you can see if this behaviour is caused by a downloaded app. For more information on safe mode and how to use it, click here

If the earspeaker still does not work as intended in safe mode, the best thing to do is to repair the software using Xperia Companion and a computer. Keep in mind though that a software repair will erase all user data from the phone, so make sure that your user data is backed up to your Google account before the repair.

Try these measures and feel free to keep me posted with the results! 

tablarasa
Visitor

Hello Martin,

I did all of the items you had suggested and unfortunately still the same result.  I was hoping that it was a simple fix but this I feel is leaning towards a hardware issue.  Considering the cost of the phone and a long time Sony and Xperia user, this is quite disappointing.  What steps can be taken now?  As I mentioned in my previous post, I pre-ordered this phone prior to its release so it is fairly new. 

Please advise.

Thank you

Martin1
Enthusiast

Thank you @tablarasa for your quick reply! 

If none of the previously mentioned troubleshooting has managed to improve the functionality of the earspeaker, it might very well be related to hardware. The best thing to do in that situation is to get in contact with your local support team in order to have the phone examined by an authorized service center. If you have any questions regarding the service such as service routines, warranty and consumer laws, these kind of questions are best answered by your local support team as well.

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

tablarasa
Visitor

I received the device back and stil have the same problem.  No notation as to what was done as all.  Very disaapointed.  2 weeks without my phone.  Now I had to send it back and go through it again, but this time, they will look more diligently.  Why not do that the first time around?  Very disappointed.  Not what I was expecting from Sony coming from a loyal Xperia user.  Now, I will have to await for another 2 weeks approximately maybe and who know when I will get it back as the Holidays are near.  In addition, no proactive updates from Sony regardin the repair.  Very disappointed in the process. and might be rethinking of purchasing future Xperia phones.  Too bad as I have been using Xperia phones ever since they were introduced.  

tablarasa
Visitor

I am supposed to be receiving my xperia 1 back today.  Hoping they actually did something to my phone this time and can resolve this issue.  I will report back.  @martin

tablarasa
Visitor

SBE is horrible! Had to send my unit to them 3 times! 1st time, they sent it back to me, problem persisted.  Repair document doesn't show anything they did.  2nd time is, they sent it back to me, problem still existed.  Repair document stated the replaced the ear piece components.  Numerous calls with Sony, their tech doing the same diagnostics, as before with the same result.  Bumped up, qualified for an exchanged unit.  But i wanted to make sure it was new and same color.  SBE stated they don't have the purple in stock with no ETA, but they have the black.  By this time it has been almost 2 months of no phone, so I said ok as long as it is new.  Received the exchanged unit that is supposed to be new, the phone was suspect.  It looked refurbished.  Even the document that came with it states they performed a repair.  Long story short, I have now my proper replacement phone, even the color. Hope that I would not have to deal with SBE again.  Sony needs to contract their repairs with a company that has integrity.  Sony does not have a brick and mortar support in the US like a Samsung or an iPhone so it would be in their best interest to improve their support for US customer.