Join now - be part of our community!

Difficult to switch to 52mm(2X) lens under normal light,only my phone?

Xperia1user
Visitor

Difficult to switch to 52mm(2X) lens under normal light,only my phone?

Xperia is a very great phone, only this 52mm lens is  bothering me.

Photos from 2x zoom under normal light and lowlight environment most of them are digital zoom photo from 26mm lenses (fake 52mm photo). Difficult to switch to real 52mm lens, sometime the 26mm digital zoom and 52mm preview screen have been switching continuously after press 2X button ,nonstop. sometime delay, sometime lagging.

I know that sometimes multiple cameras will be “camouflaged” into other focal lengths based on light level with digital zoom.But the requirement to switch to real 52mm lens is too harsh in xperia 1.

In a restaurant normal light environment you just can't switch to 52mm.

In the same low light , when you  lucky  switch to a 52mm lens, the picture clarity is much better than the 26m digital zoom from 2X ,I compared a lot are all same result. Ps4 gamepad is illuminated with a desk lamp and use a phone tripod for stable,2X always on 26mm digital zoom status,try switch 1x-2x like 50 times,finally got a 52mm one. Hope this is just a software issue or separate case.

J9110 Hong Kong version 55.0A.2.2.278

from 2X (52mm)from 2X (52mm)from 2X (still 26mm digital zoom)from 2X (still 26mm digital zoom)

DSC_0153.jpg

from 2X (still 26mm digital zoom)from 2X (still 26mm digital zoom)from 2X (52mm)from 2X (52mm)

9 REPLIES 9
xenite5
New

Strange, I don't understand camera and not much into the photography but I always used 2x so far and it was very smooth very fast in between modes.

Xperia1user
Visitor

do you think it's hardware or software problem?

xenite5
New

I believe it is a software problem.

Alternatively try saving photos to internal storage (if you use an SD card)

I realised that saving photos to SD card after shooting slows down the process and camera can't get ready for next shot before saving a photo. 

Xperia1user
Visitor

It is internal storage.

I just tried a few other xperia1 in store all the same problem, under bright light shooting dark object it switching continuously between 26mm digital zoom and 52mm lens ,.sometime delay, sometime lagging. It seems this is a software problem ,also 52mm lens focusing slow and unfocus in short distance sometime. Other say that the Note9 used to have the same problem.Hope this can be adjust better in software update.

Xperia1user
Visitor

After some trial,I found that when 2X macro shooting , it uses the 26mm digital zoom to get closer distance. This is no problem. The problem is that switching between 2X lenses and the main lens digital zoom  in some common normal light environment  is still annoying,for example, under regular supermarket lighting take some distant products,the effect of 52mm is much better than the digital zoom of the main camera,the camera seems very difficult to choose which one to use.The only way to sure switch 52mm is to use portrait mode, then drag the background blur effect to 0 , But the photo capacity is 15M, which is three times  of the normal camera mode.

I tried other mobile phones, some of the main camera pixels are very high, so it is advisable to use the digital zoom of the main camera to simulate telephoto in some scenes.In xperia1 case need more detailed adjustment.

hunky
Visitor

In normal camera app, the 2x zoom lens isnt working. Only digital 2x zoom from the normal lens. (In cinema pro all lens working fine).

I switched some times, reboot the phone, but none of them work.

Software im using: 55.0.A.2.278

profile.country.DE.title
digitalray

support just told me that they were not aware of this problem as no one obviously had ever commited that to the sony support and thanked me for reporting a problem here.

sometimes its working when switching to X2, but most of the times it's not.

my guess: the software will check for light level and in not super bright situations like outside in daylight, it will not activate the 2.4 lens because the image would get too dark and you would need an enormous time to take the picture and it would get blurry.

SONICMILLER
Visitor

In reality I did a lot of testing. First off the 2x lens has a higher f-stop which means that it lets less light through the lens.  So its actually super smart that the phone desides to switch to the f1.6 lens in low light darker situations.  It knows for the most part when the image quality is going to be better using the f1.6 than the f2.4 lens.  However, I do think there should be a way to manually force a 2x lens when absolutly necessary.  That being said 2x using the 1.6 lens is actually relatively decent.

messefilme
Visitor

Hi there,

I've got a Sony Xperia 1 running Android 10 and there are the same problems. The 2x zoom within the classic Android camera app is a digital zoom using the upper lens. When switching to Sony's Camera Pro app selecting 52mm objective the middle lens is used.

This can be verified easily by putting a finger on the upper lens.

I contacted Sony support in Germany and explained my problem. We reached a point where they forced me to reset the device and run the software repair function. I told them that I don't want to do that because I need my phone and installed apps. I went to a store and tested several devices Sony Xperia 1, 5, 10, 10plus and all of them had the same issue.

I informed Sony support about this result but they say that they cannot forward my issue to the next department without doing the software repair on my phone.

As written before I cannot reset my device. I'm wondering if anyone had tried to contact Sony support before or if there is anyone who is able doing the software repair on his or her device.

When calling the help inside the Android camera app Sony tells you that the x2 zoom feature will use the 2nd lens. So is must work in my eyes. The Camera Pro app is no solution because it is not optimized for taking photos simple and quick.

Best regards,

Michael