Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Xperia 1 to a Canon DSLR using USB cable

profile.country.SE.title
Dan_Altemyr
Explorer

Connecting Xperia 1 to a Canon DSLR using USB cable

I usually use Canon's app Camera Connect for wireless communication with my Canon DSLR, but I also own an older Canon DSLR that dows not support wireless connections. Therefore, I have used an USB cable connected to the phone using an OTG adapter. The cable connection is also much faster than the wireless. This has worked fine on my previous mobile phone an it still works on my Samsung tablet, but it does not work on my Xperia 1. Why? I have found the USB settings in th phone, where it says the communication is initiated by the device and not by the phone, and if I try to change it, I only get the respnse that it cannot connect. Also, since the communicaiton is initiated from the device, the USB data mode is set to "No data transfer" and cannot be changed. How do I fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

This could be a compatibility matter between the 2 devices, as if the 2 devices aren't compatible, they can't be connected to each other. But try to check the steps in this link first it could help: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00235780

It doesn't have the same name of your issue, but same steps are used 

profile.country.SE.title
Dan_Altemyr
Explorer

I do not think that was the case. I think however that the problem is solved. There are two reasons why I did not see the pics from th camera:

1. My USB OTG adapter seems to have a poor USBC connector, which is very sensitive and ieasily pops out of the socket in the phone. I have checked the contact and the socket for dusat or anything else that may obstruct the connectivity but both look very clean.

2. I need a better File manager app. Neither "File Commander" or Sonys "Album" or "Google Photos" is able to sho the MTP USB connection. However, an app called "Files" does, I don't know if this is pre-installed or if I have installed it myself at some point. And there was also an USB icon in the notification area which displayed the contents of the camera when clicking on it.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

So you will probably change the OTG adapter and test again and let us know the outcome.

profile.country.SE.title
Dan_Altemyr
Explorer

It does work with my current adapter, but I must hold the phone very still and steady. My primary transfer method is still the wireless option using Canon's Camera Connect app