Join now - be part of our community!

Can't receive animated GIFS Verizon

Mrhug3
Visitor

Can't receive animated GIFS Verizon

As the title says, I can't receive animated GIFS. I can see and send them just fine, but when I receive one, it's just a still picture. Anyone else have this issue? I've tried the stock Google messages app, and others. 

25 REPLIES 25
Mrhug3
Visitor

Exactly. Plus, its seems like it should be an easy fix.

SAWIG
Visitor

I am really suprised no one else has jumped in with similar issue. We need a larger pool of people with this problem.

Mrhug3
Visitor

I'm sure there has to be more. Maybe they aren't posting here.

SAWIG
Visitor

Still have not seen any improvement with messages not receiving animategs gifs. Happens when recieving from both Verizon and US Cellular numbers.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Can I just ask, when you go into Messages - Settings - Chat Features.

Is Auto Download files you receive over mobile data set to "up to 105mb"?

And in Setting - Advanced, is Auto Download MMS enabled?

And Messages - Settings, What is Automatic Previews set to ?

SAWIG
Visitor

Chat Features - "Chat features unavailable for this device. Your carrier does not support this feature." - I have VZW.

Auto Download MMS is enabled.

Automatic previews  - Show all previews is enabled.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Thanks, so when you receive a gif, you then have to click on it, to make it play in the browser?

As if all you receive is a jpeg/link, and not an animated gif?

And can I ask what size they are, in Mb's?

Maybe it's a size thing..Strange though Chat isn't supported.

Verizon might not be supporting RCS, or may have a size limit in place for gifs.

You can try uninstalling the Verizon messages app, then go in to the Messages app(the stock Google one, blue icon), force stop it, then go to the Play Store, and uninstall all updates, then re-update it, and see if the chat features/MMS works from there, but don't re-install the Verizon one if you had it.

SAWIG
Visitor

When gifs come in they are received as a MMS at about 6-7kB but when I send a gif it's around 128kB.

So basically all i recieve is just an single slide of the gif. Clicking on the received gif only opens it to a larger image but not a video. When I click on a gif I sent it opens it larger and plays it.

I have been using the stock Android Messages and never used the VZW app. What I find weird is it use to work and then one day it stopped.I have done the uninstall updates force stop, clear data, and restart with no luck.

And it works for other VSW customers my girlfriend has an older Moto Z2. A USCC received gifs just fine but again I cannot recieve them from him.

Even when I go into Messages for Web it has the received gif as just an image also but plays gifs I send.

SAWIG
Visitor

I did just download the Messages+ app from VZW and I can get gifs just fine. So must be a software thing with Sony.

SAWIG
Visitor

I also tried Textra and Pulse SMS and they both do not receive GIFs. I had VZW reset my connection from their end and it didn't resolve the issue. Now the question is why does the Message+ app work but nothing else.