Join now - be part of our community!

Astrophotography xperia I ii and 1

Gt40mk1
Visitor

Astrophotography xperia I ii and 1

Hey guys doesd anyone know if the xperia 1 or the new 1 ii can astrophotography ? Are the iso settings and exposure even high enough? Is the sensor a bad crop or full frame? I'm sure that's asking a lot from a phone. But im getting ready to buy an alpha a7 2r but i also want to replace my relic xa1 ultra. I'm looking at buying the xperia 5, 1 or 1ii  

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Well, the good thing going for it is the sensor size is increased to 1/1.7 from 1/2.3 which is a bit of a decent increase, with 12mp on that sensor, the light gathering should be quite decent to be honest so yeah, it should be quite decent for pics of stars and stuff.

I took the Xperia 1 to Skye last summer and managed to get one clear night where I got a shot of the milky way.

Obviously a tripod with mobile mount is needed  and as you say, high iso with long shutter, you should be able to grab some fairly decent stuff, the new sensor should make things even better.DSC_1123-01.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

Oh wow, nice, and this is from the xperia 1?

I gotta admit the phone takes awsome pics and vids (once you get over the start record lag of 1-2secs)

This was in Turkey at the museums, it is a very dark and low lit area but I thought it was doing a great job.DSC_4791.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@Sony_F4N wrote:

Oh wow, nice, and this is from the xperia 1?

Yeah, from Xperia 1.

30 second exposure

Iso 3200

Gt40mk1
Visitor

That's incredible .yeah im pretty excited about the 1 mark 2 camera. The xperia 1 definitely takes good pics 

pressefr
Contributor

Is this the InHouse camera or Cinema Pro App?

I don't see the 30 second exposure option on either.

I found out that there is a difference from the Xperia 1 -vs- Xperia 5. 

• Xperia 1: has a Fixed Focus
  • Xperia 5: has an option to do focus background and foreground timer
  • Xperia5AutoFocusOff2Capture.PNGXperia5AutoFocusOff1Capture.PNG
  • Looks like Sony have been listening to us. The Xperia 1 ii has image capture and view .RAW now!

Raw2.PNGRaw.PNG

Gt40mk1
Visitor

I know I'm so pumped about the new xperia 1 mark 2. It has very capable specs and the raw mixed with true dslr type settings has me sold! Im buying it asap 

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@pressefr wrote:

• Xperia5AutoFocusOff2Capture.PNGXperia5AutoFocusOff1Capture.PNG
  • Looks like Sony have been listening to us. The Xperia 1 ii has image capture and view .RAW now!

Raw2.PNGRaw.PNG

The xperia 1 got the focus timer on the android 10 update.

My image was from stock camera app, manual mode

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@pressefr wrote:

This is the Cinema Pro app, so no 30-second exposure option. That option is in the native camera app.

The Xperia 1 also has the ability to pull focus, or 'do focus background and foreground timer' as you put it, since the Android 10 update.

I expect the RAW capture will be in the new Camera Pro app.

pressefr
Contributor

@JonHC wrote:

@pressefr wrote:

This is the Cinema Pro app, so no 30-second exposure option. That option is in the native camera app.

The Xperia 1 also has the ability to pull focus, or 'do focus background and foreground timer' as you put it, since the Android 10 update.

I expect the RAW capture will be in the new Camera Pro app.

I'm sorry I'm a visual person, any screenshot to help me out.

I see on native Xperia 1 camera app. > Manual, 3200 ISO, but 30 second exposure??? Where?

Ohhh, I see manual focus timer now on Cinema Pro! I just can't use it on the 16mm lens, but can on the other two! Thanks guys.